When you hear the name Israel what does it bring to your mind?
- Conflict in the middle east.
- War; Soldiers
- Small country making a lot of negative noise and creating a lot of problems?
- And much more…
All negative and not too much positive do we hear about Israel. I am here today to change that.
Israel has over 45,000 associations, fellowships, societies, groups, and organizations of people that are there for one reason and goal, which is to help other human beings, Jewish, Muslims, Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. It doesn’t matter what religion you belong to, the color of your skin, or your nationality, those groups are there to help others.
I want to to shed some light and name just a few of them so people will know that in Israel there are a lot of beautiful things happening.
Take for instance the Snir Association for Equal Opportunities.
The Snir Foundation was created in 2010 and from that day forward our mission has been to assist less fortunate people in Israel in many ways such as equal opportunity in education, financial assistance for rent, utility bills, groceries, medical bills, medical needs, and more.
From Children to Holocaust survivors, to Soldiers and lonesome soldiers who came from abroad to serve in the Israeli army, from food to university studies, from baby clothes to assisting old age people with all sorts of basic needs as well as just providing some company to them.
Each case that is brought to the association is thoroughly examined by one of the association's volunteers, only after it turns out that the whole report is true, the person who required the assistance receives the full package and cover that he/she needs.
The reason I am mentioning this specific association is that right now they are involved in something that is amazing:
This group of amazing people recently started providing dedicated assistance to patients who go to the emergency room at the Soroka Hospital in Be'er Sheva, who need elementary help such as payment for taxi and medicine. This project is expanding now to other hospitals like Barzilai Hospital in Ashkelon, and more hospitals in the country.
The volunteers of the Snir association consist of many celebrities, actors, press people, businesspeople, communication, education, and a lot of other good people, all the volunteers are called the Snir’s Angels.
The 2 Delivering Angels WhatsApp groups are for those who bring 2nd hand products like furniture, clothes, electronics and electrical equipment, to people who need it.
There are 2 other WhatsApp groups for French Speaking people in need and 1 WhatsApp group for English speakers who need help.
There are 2 other WhatsApp groups called the Working Angles, who are busy posting and creating adds for work and employment for people in need.
The unique part of this association is the following: Nobody is hired on a salary!
All and any money that is donated to this association goes to the people who need it and not to some big-shot manager who works just for his/her salary.
Nir Shmuel the person who established this association 12 years ago is still running it today behind the scenes and makes sure his vision is kept intact, In Covid times (which were very hard in Israel, with complete Shut downs for 6 Months) Nir made sure that any person that contacted the association had a warm meal and clothing, or a lawyer if this family needed it, etc etc etc.
You can read more about the Snir Association for equal opportunities, or about the Snir angels and how to donate below.
So that is only one example of so many of those associations that are the good deed and miracle makers for so many families and people.
Another organization called Latet (To Give)
Latet (To Give) - was established in order to reduce poverty, for a better and just society, by aiding needy populations, mobilizing Israeli civil society towards mutual responsibility, and leading change in the national priorities.
- On 1996 Gilles Darmon (Founder and Presideent of Latet) immigrated from France and then went on to form Latet Organization, which first began as a local branch of the French humanitarian organization Equilibre.
- The Latet organization first reacted to crises in 1997 with a delegation to Kosovo following the civil war disaster. Since then the Latet organization was involved in Aid in India for earth quake in 1999 as well as in Rwanda following the civil war.
- Latet established a food drive in 1998 while establishing the food bank in Israel which provides food to needy people.
- In 2002 the organization launched the Latet’s Educational Program "I am for you," which in the future became the "Latet Youth."
- On 2004 Latet with the cooperation of the TV Channel 2 had a special pre-Rosh Hashanah donation broadcast. To raise fund for the organization.
- In 2005 Latet was there in Sri Lanka after the Tsunami hit.
- 2007 was the year that Latet Established the "Aid for Life" program for impoverished Holocaust survivors in Israel; a petition to the High Court of Justice in order to compel the State to take responsibility for the nutritional security of its citizens; launch of "One Million People who are Starving in Silence:"
- In 2013 Latet distributed 10,000 tons of food worth ₪45,000,000 which was distributed by 150 charities to 60,000 families; the "I am for you" program developed into a youth organization and becomes "Latet Youth"; and the establishment of "A City Without Hunger" program, which is an urban, innovative and sustainable model to solve nutritional insecurity all over the country.
- In 2018 19,100 volunteers joined Latet's various projects and activities, providing 452,000 hours of voluntary service.
- In 2022 the Latet organization helps the Ukrainian refugees fleeing the war in Ukraine and arriving in Israel. With an emergency box that contains food and hygiene products, to start their new life.
The latest activities of Latet in this past year are:
Aid for Life - Support for Holocaust Survivors in Need
Aid for Life was developed in order to improve the lives of impoverished Holocaust survivors and to provide them with immediate relief. By demonstrating care, mutual responsibility, and concern for the situation of the survivors, the program provides medical, physical, and emotional support that enables them to live a life in dignity.
The program provides a holistic, respectful, and immediate aid package for Holocaust survivors that covers all aspects of life, with a special emphasis on adjusting and making the much-needed assistance accessible to the survivor.
Another project of Latet is:
The Nutritional Security initiative was developed with the aim to reduce nutritional insecurity among families and individuals living in severe poverty by salvaging, collecting, and distributing food.
Latet has developed strategic partnerships with leading grocery retailers, food manufacturers, and food distributors in Israel to create a highly successful infrastructure, capable of salvaging food nationally. Latet's cutting edge logistical center accommodates the food storage, packaging, sorting, and distribution of food to local NGOs, ultimately providing food for tens of thousands of families across Israel. Additionally, Latet diligently works to raise public awareness within Israeli society, and abroad, about the issue of food shortage and poverty in Israel.
City Without Hunger
An innovative, groundbreaking social initiative, proposing an effective and sustainable model to solve the problem of nutritional insecurity in Israel. The initiative acts to implement a municipal model that can be replicated throughout the country.
And there is so much more that Latet does, donates, organizes, and bring awareness and answers to so many issues and problems.
Latet is Independent, non-governmental, non-political, non-partisan, non-profit organization.
To read more about it in English at this link: https://www.latet.org.il/en/
There is one more organization which I should like to talk about and that is Leket Israel.
Leket Israel, the National Food Bank, is the leading food rescue organization in Israel. Unique among all other organizations that serve the poor in Israel and food banks worldwide, Leket Israel’s sole focus is rescuing healthy, surplus food and delivering it to those in need through partner nonprofit organizations.
Leket Israel deals with harvesting surplus agricultural produce and collecting cooked meals then sorting and distributing them to the needy throughout the country. In addition, the Nutrition and Food Safety department ensures that the the collection and distribution of the food is held to the highest food safety regulations. Additionally, Leket Israel only donates 100% nutritious food, while working with dieticians and nutritionists.
As of 2021:
- 110 employees
- 18,000 volunteers
- Logistics Center:
- Storage area of about 6,000 square meters
- Cooling capacity of about 10,000 cubic meters
- 60 dedicated vehicles
- 26,064 tons of food
- 100% healthy food
- 263 nonprofit organizations that receive food from Leket Israel and deliver it to 223,000 needy Israelis per week
When you want more info about Leket Israel here is their link:
For a country with a population of less then 9 million people you must admit that the numbers speak for themselves.
Israeli people are givers, they help each other as much as they can in time of need. We might argue over a red traffic light and shout and really be loud about who is right and who is wrong, but with that same passion we help and assist whenever we are called upon.
When there is a need we are there, in our own country or other countries in the world, be it an enemy country or a friendly one, this is the core of the people of Israel.
Always remember we are the Chosen people who were chosen to create good on this planet.
One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want. Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered.
משלי פרק יא פסוקים כד – כה
כד יֵשׁ מְפַזֵּר, וְנוֹסָף עוֹד; וְחֹשֵׂךְ מִיֹּשֶׁר, אַךְ-לְמַחְסוֹר
כה נֶפֶשׁ-בְּרָכָה תְדֻשָּׁן; וּמַרְוֶה, גַּם-הוּא יוֹרֶא.
Some other organizations are:
Yad Sara: https://yad-sarah.net/?lang=en
Pitchon Lev (open your heart): https://www.pitchonlev.org.il/?lang=en
You can also find more organization and information of how you can assist, help, donate and contribute in any way here https://www.ruachtova.org.il/en/
Or here: https://www.giusim.co.il/en/